عنوان مقاله [English]
Background and Aim: Mentally retarded people are those whose mental development ceased or are incomplete, and may include disorders in developmental skills related to intellectual levels. This problem usually has its crucial effects on their verbal, cognitive, and physical mobilities. The aim of the present study was to investigate the effect of eight weeks of combined training (strength and balance) on balance, muscle strength, and aggression in mentally retarded educable children.
Materials and Methods: In a semi-experimental study, a total of 30 male students, 7 to 14 years old, studying at special school of Varzaneh District, with the mean age and standard deviation of 9.3±2.03 and IQ 50 to 70, were purposefully and according to availability selected as the sample and then assigned to experimental (N=15) and control (N=15) groups based on their IQ scores. Bruininks-Oserestsky Test of Motor Proficiency was used to evaluate participants’ balance. Also, to measure aggression, the researcher made use of Zahedifar scale. Participants of the experimental group performed the combined training (strength and balance) for eight weeks, three sessions a week, with each session lasting for 40 minutes, while the control group did not participate in any special training. At the end of this period, both groups took the posttest. For statistical analysis, repeated measures of ANOVA was use. The level of significance was set at p=0.05.
Results: Research findings showed that combined training (strength and balance) had significant effects on static and dynamic balance. However, the effects of selected training on participants’ aggression were not statistically significant.
Conclusion: It can be concluded that based on the effectiveness of this training protocol on rehabilitation of mentally retarded children, it is recommended that such rehabilitation programs be included for participants with mental disabilities.
10. Duristine JL. Moore GE. Painter P . Roberts O. Exercise managment for person with chronic diseases and disabilities. Human kinetics 2009:360. ##
11. Stanish H. Temple V . Frey G. Health-Promoting physical Activity of Adults with Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities Reasearch Reviews 2006; 3(12): 13-3##
12. Ghasemi GH, Salehi H, Heydari L. The Effect of a Rhythmic Motor Program on Perceptual–Motor Abilities of Educable Mentally Retarded Children. Journal of development and motor learning 2010; 4(9): 92-75. [In Persian]. ##
13. American association on mental retardation "Mental retardation: definition, classification, and systems of support (9ed)". Washington DC. Author 1997. ##
14. Khaliltahmasebi R. The effect of Rebound training on physical fitness factors, Static and dynamic balance educable mentally retarded children. [Msc Thesis]. Esfahan, Iran: University of Esfahan , 2012. [In Persian]. ##
15. Daneshmandi H, Barati A, Ahmadi M. The effect of core stability training on Balance mental retardation. Journal of Rehabilitation 2012 ; (25): 16-24. [In Persian]. ##
16. Ahmadi M, Daneshmandi H, Barati A, The effect of Core stability training on dynamic balance mentally retarded children. Journal of Sports Medicine and Technology 2011 ; 2(3): P77. [In Persian]. ##
17. Afroz GH, Omarayi K, Taghizade M, Yazdani M. The effect of Physical exercise on reducing aggression slow-paced students. Journal of development and motor learning 2009 ; (3): 37-49. [In Persian]. ##
18. Shojaei S , Hemati GH. Research in the area of Exceptional Children. 2nd ed 2006;6 (4): 855-49. [In Persian]. ##
19. Kubilay N.Yildrin Y. Kara B. Effect of balance training and posture exercsise on functional level in mental retardation. Fizyotoraphi rehabilitasyon 2011; 22(2):55-64. ##
20. K.Szymaska A.Mikolajiczy KE. Woltanowski W .The effect of Physical Training on static balance in young People with intellectual disability 2012;33(2):675-81. ##
21. Brui ninks RH ,Brui ninks BD ,Brui ninks – oser et sky test of motor proficiency :2ndeds. Min neapolis : MN: pear son Assessment 2005 . ##
22. Kordi M, Anoshe L, Khodadad S, Khosravi B. The effect of The combination of strength training, balance and quality of life. Journal Sports Medicine 2011 ; 2(5): 51-64. [In Persian]. ##
23. Zahedifar SH,Najariyan B,Shekarshekan H. Construction and Validation of a Scale to measure aggression. Journal of Education and Psychology 2003. 7(1):71-102. [In Persian]. ##
24. Naghizajad F, Sadeghi F, Alirezayi F. The effect of Strength static and dynamic postural control in older women. Journal of Sport Sciences 2010 ; (7): 47-54. [In Persian]. ##
25. Labafgahsemi R. Status of scorpion stings in Iran and their prevention. Behvarz Journal. 1999; 10(2):32-5. [In Persian] ##
26. Daneshmandi H, Alizadeh M, Gharakhanlo R. Corrective exercises (diagnosis and prescription). 11st ed. Tehran, Iran: SAMT Publication 2013: 12-17.[In Persian]. ##