عنوان مقاله [English]
Background and aims: Auditory memory is the ability to receive process, store, and finally recall verbal information. Auditory-Verbal memory plays an important role in human life. One of the common methods to investigate auditory-verbal memory is using the behavioral neuropsychological tests. Therefore, many tests have been introduced. Rey Auditory Verbal Learning Test is one of the most common tests in this area. The present study aimed to investigate the effect of gender on the results obtained from the Persian version of the test.
Materials and methods: In the current study, 120 patients (60 female and 60 male) in their fourth and sixth decades were investigated using the Persian version of the Rey Auditory Verbal Learning Test.
Results: Significantly higher scores were observed in women than in men in the total recall (P = 0.045), with the intervention (P = 0.007), and delayed (P = 0.002) phases.
Conclusion: Higher scores were observed in women comparing the both age groups. The results confirm the superiority of women in the application of auditory-verbal memory and indicate the importance of using separate data for each sex.
10. Poreh A, Sultan A, Levin J. The Rey Auditory Verbal Learning Test: Normative data for Arabic- speaking population and analysis of differential influence of demographic variables. Psychology & Neuroscience 2012; 5:57-61.##
11. Van Der Elst W, Van Boxtel MPJ, Van breukelen GJP. Rey verbal learning test: normative data for healthy participant aged 24-81 years and the influence of age, sex, education and mode of presentation. Jornal of the International Neuropsychological Society 2005: 11: 290-302.##
12. Salgado J, Diniz L, Abrantes S, et al. Applicability of the Rey Auditory- verbal learning test to an adult sample in Brazil. Revista Brasileira de Psiquiatria 2011;33:234-237.##
13. Bezdicek O, Stepankova H, Motak L, Bradley N, et al. Czech version of Rey Auditory Verbal Learning test: Normative data. Aging, Neuropsychology and cognition 2013;86:1-24.##
14. Vakil E, Greenstein Y, Blachstein H. Normative data for composite score for children and adults derived from the Rey Auditory Verbal Learning test. The clinical Neuropsychological 2010;24:662-677.##
15. Messinis L, Nasios G, Mouqias A, Politis A, Zampakis P,et al. Age and education adjusted normative data and discriminative validity for Rey s Auditory verbal learning test in the elderly Greek population.clinical and experimental Neuropsychology 2016;38:23-39.##
16. Fichman H, Dias L, Fernandes C, Lourenco R, et al. Normative data and construct validity of the Rey Auditory verbal learning test in a Brazilian elderly population. Psychol. Neurosci (online)2010.##
17. Lee T, Yuen K, Chan C. Normative data for Neuropsychological Measures of Fluency, Attention, and Memory Measures of Hong Kong Chinese. Journal of clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology 2002;24:615-635.##
18. Jafari Z, Mortiz PS, Zandi T, Aliakbari A, Malayeri S. Iranian version of the Reyauditory verbal test: a validation study. Payesh Journal. 2010;9(3):307.##
19. Andersson C, Lindau M, Almkvist O, Enqfeldt P, Johansson SE, Eriksdotter Jonhegen M . Identifying patients at high and low risk of cognitive decline using Rey Auditory verbal learning test among middle- aged memory clinic outpatients. Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders 2006; 21: 251-9##
20. Rodrigez- Aranda C ,Martinussen M. Age related differences in performance of phonemic verbal fluency measured by controlled oral word association task. Dev.neuropsychol 2006; 30:697-717.##
21. Joseph M, Andereano and Larry Cahill. Sex influences on the neurobiology of learning and memory. Cold spring laboratory press 2016; 248-66.##
22. Kimura D. Women’s advantage on verbal memory is not restrict to concern words. Psychol 2002; 91: 1137-42.##
23. Grigorva M. Effect of treatment with leuprolide acetate depot on working memory and executive functions in premenopausal woman. Psychoneuroendocrinology 2006; 31:935-47.##
24. Cherrier M. Characterization of verbal and spatial memory changes from moderate suprahysiological increases in serum testosterone in healthy older man. Psychoneuroendocrinology 2007; 32: 72-79.##