نوع مقاله : مقاله پژوهشی
1 دانشجوی دکتری، گروه حرکات اصلاحی و آسیب شناسی ورزشی، دانشکده تربیت بدنی، دانشگاه تهران، تهران، ایران
2 استاد، گروه حرکات اصلاحی و آسیب شناسی ورزشی، دانشکده تربیت بدنی، دانشگاه تهران، تهران، ایران
3 دانشیار، گروه حرکات اصلاحی و آسیب شناسی ورزشی، دانشکده تربیت بدنی، دانشگاه تهران، تهران، ایران
4 استادیار، گروه حرکات اصلاحی و آسیب شناسی ورزشی، دانشکده تربیت بدنی، دانشگاه تهران، تهران، ایران
عنوان مقاله [English]
Background and Aims: The purpose of the present study was to investigate thoracic kyphosis and its relationship with hamstring muscles flexibility in Iranian students.
Materials and Methods: A total of 13’712 students (6968 girls and 6764 boys), aged 12-17, selected randomly from schools of seven geographical regions of Iran, participated in the present study. Thoracic curvature was measured using the flexicurve method and hamstring muscle flexibility was measured using sit and reach test. Making use of descriptive statistics, means and standard deviations were calculated for all the variables. Non-parametric spearman correlation coefficient was used to determine the relationship between sagittal spinal thoracic curvature and the hamstring muscles flexibility.
Results: The results showed that the mean values of thoracic kyphosis was 32.85±11.93 degrees in female students and 36.89±10.61 degrees in male students and the mean values of hamstring muscle flexibility was 33.38±9.62 (cm) in female students and 30.01±10.41 (cm) in male students. Findings also demonstrated that there was no significant relationship between hamstring flexibility and thoracic kyphosis among Iranian male and female students (r = -0.05).
Conclusion: Based on the findings of the current study, a broad range of thoracic kyphosis and hamstring muscles flexibility was identified according to different age groups and genders. Additionally, no strong relationship has been shown between thoracic kyphosis and hamstring muscles flexibility in Iranian students. These findings can be used as a comprehensive basis for teachers, trainers, and any related parties to the health and education of the students, as well as future studies in this area.
10. Congdon R, Bohannon R, Tiberio D. Intrinsic and imposed hamstring length influence posterior pelvic during hip flexion. Clin Biomech,, 2005; 20: 947-51. ##
11. López-Minarro PA,Alacid F and Rodríguez-García pl. Comparison of sagittal spinal curvatures and hamstringmuscle extensibility among young elite paddlers and non-athletes. International SportMed Journal, 2010;11(2): 301-12. ##
12. López-Miñarro PA, Muyor J.M, Belmonte F and Alacide F. Acute Effects of Hamstring Stretching on Sagittal Spinal Curvatures and Pelvic Tilt. Journal of Human Kinetics, 2012;31(1): 69-78. ##
13. Praveen, G. Comparison of cyclic loading and hold relax technique in increasing resting length of hamstring. Hong Kong Physiotherapy Journal,2011; 29(1): 31-33. ##
14. Hosman AJ, Kleuver M,Anderson P,Limbeek;Danielle j,René v,Gerard S. Scheuermann kyphosis: the importance of tight hamstrings in the surgical correction. Spine,2003; 28(19):2252-59. ##
15. Toppenberg RM. Bullock MI The interrelation of spinal curves, pelvic tilt and muscle lengths in the adolescent female. Aust J Physiotherapy, 1986; 32(1):6-12. ##
16. Sana k ,Bannerjee K,et al. Lordosis and Its Effect on Back and Hamstring Flexibility and Cardiovascular Endurance of School Going Children. IJESC, 2016;6(9):2459-61. ##
17. Teixeira F, Carvalho G. Rellability and validity of thoracic kyphosis measurements using the flexicurve method. Revista Brasileira de Fisioterapia, São Carlos,2007;1 (3):173-7. ##
18. Mirbagheri S,Rahmani-Rasa A,Farmani F,Amini P and Nikoo MR.Evaluating Kyphosis and Lordosis in Students byUsing a Flexible Ruler and Their Relationship with Severity and Frequency of Thoracic and Lumbar Pain. Asian Spine journal. 20015;9(3):416-422. ##
19. Youdas j, Suman V, Garrett T. Reliability Of Measurements Of Lumbar Spine Sagittal Mobility Obtained With The Flexible Curve. The Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy. 1995; 21(1):13. ##
20. Rajabi R, Latifi S, Minoonejad H, Rajabi F. The effect of soft tissues in measurement of thoracic kyphosis by flexible ruler. Fall & Winter 2015 & 2016; 7 (18): 91-04. [In Persian] ##
21. Hinman MR. Comparison of thoracic kyphosis and postural stiffness in younger and older women. Spine, 2004; 4(4):413-17. ##
22. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkin. ACSM. Guidelines for exercise testing and prescription. Ninth ed. Baltimore: 2013:105–9. ##
23. Baltaci G, Un N , Tunay V, Besler A, Gerçeker S. Comparison of three different sit and reach tests for measurement of hamstring flexibility in female university students. Br J Sports Med 2003; 37:59–61. ##
24. Willner S, Johnson B. “Thoracic kyphosis and lumbar lordosis during the growth period in children,” Acta Paediatrica Scandinavica, 1983; 72 ( 6): 873–78. ##
25. Boseker EH, Moe JH,Winter RB, Koop SE.Determination “normal” thoracic kyphosis: a roentgenographic study of “ 121normal” children Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics, 2000; 20(6):796-8. ##
26. Mac-Thiong J M , Berthonnaud´E , Dimar R, Betz R and Labelle H. “Sagittal alignment of the spine and pelvis during growth,” Spine, 2004;29(15):1642-47. ##
27. Li Y, McClure PW, Pratt N. The effect of hamstring muscle stretching on standing posture and on lumbar and hip motions during forward bending. Phys Ther 1996; 76(8): 836-45. ##
28. Nourbakhsh MR, Arabloo AM, Salavati M. The relationship between pelvic cross syndrome and chronic low back pain. Journal of Back and Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation 2006; 19(4): 119-28. ##
29. Rajabi R, Alizadeh M, Shahbazi S, Zandi SH. Is there any relationship between female hamstring length and their thoracic kyphosis?Manaement of sport and movement sciences,2012; 1 (2):101- 10. [In Persian] ##
30. Borman NP, Trudelle‐Jackson E, Smith SS. Effect of stretch positions on hamstring muscle length, lumbar flexion range of motion, and lumbar curvature in healthy adults. Physiother Theory Pract, 2011; 27: 146‐54. ##
31. Gajdosik, RL. (2001), Passive extensibility of skeletal muscle: review of literature with clinical implications. ClinBiomeh, 16; (2):87-101. ##
32. Norkin C, Levangie P.K, Joint structure and function, A comprehensive analysis.Fifth Edition.2011. ##
33. Davis DS, Ashby PE, McCale KL, McQuain JA, Wine JM. The effectiveness of 3 stretching techniques on hamstring flexibility using consistent stretching parameters. J Strength Cond Res, 2005; 19: 27‐32. ##
34. López-Miñarro PA, Alacid F, Rodriguez PL. Comparison of sagittal spinal curvatures and hamstring muscle extensibility among young elite paddlers and non-athletes. Int SportMed J, 2010; 11: 301-312. ##
35. Lin S.I and Liao C.F.Age-related changes in the performance of forward reach.Gait&Posture.2011; 33:18-22.
36. Maejima H, Takeishi K, Sunahori H, Yamawaki A, Nakajima K and Yoshimura O.The relationship between postural deformation and standing balance in elderly person. Journal of the Japanese Physical Therapy Association 2004; 7: 7-14. ##