عنوان مقاله [English]
Background and Aims: Upper extremity movements and hands can alter or interfere with walking patterns, but they are usually ignored in gait analyses. The present study aimed to investigate the effect of upper extremity splinting on walking speed and cadence.
Materials and Methods: A total of 30 healthy individuals (Mean±SD: 29.56±5.34years, BMI: 24.06±3.25 kg/cm2) were asked to walk in front of the Vicon motion analysis system at their usual speed and then at the same speed with the dominant and then non-dominant hand position on the splint. Then, using MATLAB software, data were extracted and analyzed using descriptive statistics (Mean and SD), Shapirovik test (to check the normality of data distribution), and paired t-test to compare walking speed and cadence.
Results: The results of the t-test showed a significant difference between the normal swing and dominant hand position in the splint as well as the natural swing and the non-dominant hand position in the splint in the moving average variable walking speed. However, in terms of cadence, despite the mean decrease, there was no significant difference between any of the conditions and patterns compared to the natural pattern. (p≤0.05).
Conclusion: According to the results of the study, it can be suggested that sling should not be used to maintain normal walking speed in unnecessary cases in different patients, because these individuals may experience changes in walking patterns, imbalances, and falls due to increased walking speed.
10. Stephenson JL, Lamontagne A, De Serres SJ. The coordination of upper and lower limb movements during gait in healthy and stroke individuals. Gait & posture. 2009;29(1):11-6. ##
11. Stephenson J, De Serres S, Lamontagne A. The effect of arm movements on the lower limb during gait in healthy individuals. Coordination of upper and lower limbs during walking in stroke and healthy individuals. 2007:60. ##
12. Hodges P, Cresswell A, Daggfeldt K, Thorstensson A. Three dimensional preparatory trunk motion precedes asymmetrical upper limb movement. Gait & posture. 2000;11(2):92-101. ##
13. Dedieu P, Zanone P-G. Effects of gait pattern and arm swing on intergirdle coordination. Human movement science. 2012;31(3):660-71. ##
14. Punt M, Bruijn SM, Wittink H, van Dieën JH. Effect of arm swing strategy on local dynamic stability of human gait. Gait & posture. 2015;41(2):504-9. ##
15. Pontzer H, Holloway JH, Raichlen DA, Lieberman DE. Control and function of arm swing in human walking and running. Journal of experimental biology. 2009;212(4):523-34. ##
16. Merchán-Baeza JA, González-Sánchez M, Cuesta-Vargas AI. Comparison of kinematic variables obtained by inertial sensors among stroke survivors and healthy older adults in the Functional Reach Test: cross-sectional study. Biomedical engineering online. 2015;14(1):49. ##
17. Maki BE. Gait changes in older adults: predictors of falls or indicators of fear? Journal of the American geriatrics society. 1997;45(3):313-20. ##
18. Paterson KL, Lythgo ND, Hill KD. Gait variability in younger and older adult women is altered by overground walking protocol. Age and ageing. 2009;38(6):745-8. ##
19. Jackson K. Why the upper limbs move during human walking. Journal of theoretical biology. 1983;105(2):311-5.
20. Jackson K, Joseph J, Wyard S. The upper limbs during human walking. II: Function. Electromyography and clinical neurophysiology. 1983;23(6):435-46. ##
21. Fayez ES, El-Wishy AA. Impact of Arm Sling on Gait Pattern in Patients with Stroke: A randomized Cross-over Study. Bulletin of Faculty of Physical Therapy. 2011;16(1). ##
22. Eke-Okoro ST, Gregoric M, Larsson L-E. Alterations in gait resulting from deliberate changes of arm-swing amplitude and phase. Clinical Biomechanics. 1997;12(7-8):516-21. ##
23. Long JT, Groner JB, Eastwood DC, Dillingham TR, Grover P, Harris GF. Implications of arm restraint on lower extremity kinetics during gait. Journal of Experimental & Clinical Medicine. 2011;3(5):200-6. ##
24. Dreyfuss D, Elbaz A, Mor A, Segal G, Calif E. The effect of upper limb casting on gait pattern. International journal of rehabilitation research. 2016;39(2):176-80. ##
25. Ford MP, Wagenaar RC, Newell KM. Arm constraint and walking in healthy adults. Gait & posture. 2007;26(1):135-41. ##
26. Robinett CS, Vondran MA. Functional ambulation velocity and distance requirements in rural and urban communities: a clinical report. Physical therapy. 1988;68(9):1371-3. ##