عنوان مقاله [English]
Background and Aim: The goal of this study is to investigate the severity of visual acuity loss and the causes of low vision as well as the association between the severity of visual acuity loss and the type of low vision aid prescribed
Material & Methods: In this retrospective cross- sectional study, 204 files of the patients referred to the Low Vision Center of the College of Rehabilitation, between 2007 to 2008, were analyzed. Data about their visual acuity, causes of low vision, and visual aid prescribed for them were collected. SPSS 17 was used to analyze the data.
Results: The prevalence of different levels of visual acuity loss was as follow: moderate (40.7%), severe (45.6%), and very severe (13.7%). Twenty five types of diseases were identified with the following prevalence: Diabetic Retinopathy 16.2%, Age related macular degeneration 14.2%, Stargart 12.3%, Retinitis Pigmentosa 10.8%, and Albinism 8.2%.
Conclusion: Considering the high prevalence of diabetic retinopathy and ARMD, preventive measures should be taken to reduce these causes of Low vision. Microscope is the most prescribed vision aid for three groups of vision loss. The preference of the Iranian patients for using this vision aid could be due to its more casual appearance and ease of use.
10. Alfred A, Rosen bloom Jr. Rosenmloom & Morgan Vision and Aging. New York: Butterworth Heinemann publisher, 2007; 32-35.
11. Houde SC. Vision Loss in Older Adults. New York: Springer Publisher Company, 2007; 7-11.
12. Meloer GG .Treating Vision Problem in the Older Adult. New York: Mosby, 1997; 23 - 40.
13. Nowakowski RW. Primary low vision care .NewYork: Appleton & Lange; 1994:11.
14. Lee DA, Higginbotham EJ. Clinical guide to comprehensive ophthalmology. New York: Thieme; 1999:303.
15. Wong TY, Chong EW, Wong WL et al. Prevalence and Causes of Low Vision and Blindness in an Urban Malay Population. The Singapore Malay Eye Study. ArchOphthalmol.2008; 126(8): 1091-1099.
16. Klaver CCW, Wolfs RCW, Vingerling JR et al. Age-Specific Prevalence and Causes of Blindness and Visual Impairment in an Older. Population. The Rotterdam Study.Arch Ophthalmol. 1998; 116(5):653-658.
17. Liang YB, Friedman DS, Wong TY et al. Prevalence and Causes of Low Vision and Blindness in a Rural Chinese Adult Population. Ophthalmology. 2008; 115(11): 1965-1972.
18. Grosvenor T. Primary care optometry- Order by: relevance | pagesrelevance | pages. Boston: Butterworth Heinemann publisher, 2007; 34-43.
19. Jadoon MZ, Dineen B, Bourne RRA. Prevalence of Blindness and Visual Impairment in Pakistan: The Pakistan National Blindness and Visual Impairment Survey. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2006 47 (11) 4749-4755.