عنوان مقاله [English]
Background and Aim: Cerebral palsy is the most common movement disorder that is associated with life-long disability and movement impairment and leads to “disabilities” such as impairment, function limitation, and participation restrictions. Developing of the psychomotor disturbances results in the loss of ability to use the limbs, more weakness and paralysis, disability in performing activities of daily living, more dependence and ultimately, lowering quality of life. Therefore, because of developing of such disturbances, early rehabilitation is essential for patients with cerebral palsy. Kinesio taping technique is a relatively new technique applied in rehabilitation programs. The aim of the present review was a discussion about the effects of Kinesio taping techniques on improving motor skills in children with cerebral palsy
Materials and Methods: Using the keywords Cerebral palsy, Taping, Kinesio tape, and Kinesio taping electronic databases including Scopus, Pubmed, ISI, and Google Scholar were searched. Finally, 14 articles, based on the inclusion criteria were selected, up to April 2015. The articles were then classified according to the type and site of Kinesio taping application on the body.
Results: Review of the literature demonstrated that Kinesio taping technique is more effective on gross and fine motor function and dynamic activities than postural and static activities. Also, it was found that this technique has more effect on the children in higher developmental and motor stages (1st and 2nd levels of Gross Motor Function Classification System (GMFCS)).
Conclusion: It is concluded that Kinesio taping technique, as an adjunctive treatment and in combination with other treatment techniques, can be effective in the neurological rehabilitation of children with cerebral palsy to improve motor function and dynamic activities, especially in higher developmental and motor stages (1st and 2nd levels of GMFCS).
10. Mackin E, Callahan A, Skirven T, Schneider L. Rehabilitation of the hand and upper extremity. United States of America: Mosby; 2002.##
11. Yi-Liang K, Yueh-Chu H. Effects of the Application Direction of Kinesio Taping on Isometric Muscle Strength of the Wrist and Fingers of Healthy Adults — A Pilot Study. J Phys Ther Sci. 2013;25(3):287–91.##
12. da Costa CS, Rodrigues FS, Leal FM, Rocha NA. Pilot study: Investigating the effects of Kinesio Taping(R) on functional activities in children with cerebral palsy. Dev Neurorehabil. 2013;16(2):121-8.##
13. Simsek TT, Turkucuoglu B, Cokal N, Ustunbas G, Simsek IE. The effects of Kinesio(R) taping on sitting posture, functional independence and gross motor function in children with cerebral palsy. Disabil Rehabil. 2011;33(21-22):2058-63.##
14. Iosa M, Morelli D, Nanni MV, Veredice C, Marro T, Medici A, et al. Functional taping: a promising technique for children with cerebral palsy. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2010;52(6):587-9.##
15. Footer CB. The effects of therapeutic taping on gross motor function in children with cerebral palsy. Pediatr Phys Ther. 2006;18(4):245-52.##
16. Nieves Estrada NA, Echevarría González AC. Effect of neuromuscular electrical stimulation and Kinesio taping in sialorrhea in patients with mild cerebral palsy and moderate. Fisioterapia. 2013;35(06):272-6.##
17. Sadeghi moghadam R, lajvardi L. effect of wrist kinesio taping on hand function in children with diplegic spastic cerebral palsy (in persian). Journal of modern rehabilitation(mrj). 1391;6(1):26-31.##
18. Camerota F, Galli M, Cimolin V, Celletti C, Ancillao A, Blow D, et al. Neuromuscular taping for the upper limb in Cerebral Palsy: A case study in a patient with hemiplegia. Dev Neurorehabil. 2014;17(6):384-7.##
19. Keklicek H, Uygur F, Yakut Y. Effects of taping the hand in children with cerebral palsy. J Hand Ther. 2015;28(1):27-33.##
20. Iosa M, Morelli D, Nanni M, Paolucci S, Mazzà C. Functional taping in children with cerebral palsy: A pilot study. Gait Posture. 2008;28(1):S4-S5.##
21. Iosa M. The application of Kinesio Taping in children with cerebral palsy. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2015;57(1):11-2.##
22. Kaya Kara O, Atasavun Uysal S, Turker D, Karayazgan S, Gunel MK, Baltaci G. The effects of Kinesio Taping on body functions and activity in unilateral spastic cerebral palsy: a single-blind randomized controlled trial. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2015;57(1):81-8.##