عنوان مقاله [English]
Background and Aim: In the recent years, ultrasonography has widely been used to measure skeletal muscle architecture parameters such as fascicle length, fascicle angle, and muscle thickness, that provide an opportunity to be able to objectively estimate muscle force production capacity in biomechanical and biophysiological researches. The current review article aimed to systematically reviw the investigations of reliability and validity of ultrasonography in measurement of muscle structure parameters during isometric and isotonic contractions in the existing studies.
Materials and Methods: A literature review was conducted on studies published between 1995-2014 in PubMed, ScienceDirect, Scopus, Google scholar, and Springer Link databases. The following terms were used as key words: Ultrosonography, muscle architecture, reliability, validity, fascicle length, and contraction.
Result: A total of 109 articles were obtained from which 40 were chosen based on their titles. After studying the abstracts and full texts, 28 were considered to be congruent with the inclusion criteria. Several statistics were run to quantify reliability and validity (CMC, ICC, r, CV, SEM, criterion, and contract validity). The majority of studies reported high reliability estimates (0.75-0.99). In one case, ICC of 0.06 was reported for dynamic activity. Evidence of validity of ultrasonography for measuring muscle structure features during contraction was obtained from 7 articles and it was revealed that ultrasonography has high to very high consistency.
Conclusion: Review showes that ultrasonography is a reliable and valid method to measure the changes of skeletal muscle structure during contaction in healthy people and patiants.
10. Fornage BD, Atkinson EN, Nock LF, Jones PH. US with Extended Field of View: Phantom-tested Accuracy of Distance Measurements 1. Radiology. 2000;214(2):579-84.##
11. Ying M, Sin M-H. Comparison of extended field of view and dual image ultrasound techniques: accuracy and reliability of distance measurements in phantom study. Ultrasound in medicine & biology. 2005;31(1):79-83##.
12. Noorkoiv M, Stavnsbo A, Aagaard P, Blazevich AJ. In vivo assessment of muscle fascicle length by extended field-of-view ultrasonography. Journal of Applied Physiology. 2010;109(6):1974-9.##
13. Rana M, Hamarneh G, Wakeling JM. Automated tracking of muscle fascicle orientation in B-mode ultrasound images. Journal of biomechanics. 2009;42(13):2068-73.##
14. Whiting P, Rutjes AW, Reitsma JB, Bossuyt PM, Kleijnen J. The development of QUADAS: a tool for the quality assessment of studies of diagnostic accuracy included in systematic reviews. BMC medical research methodology. 2003;3(1):25.##
15. Grubb NR, Fleming A, Sutherland GR, Fox K. Skeletal muscle contraction in healthy volunteers: assessment with Doppler tissue imaging. Radiology. 1995;194(3):837-42.##
16. Herbert R, Gandevia S. Changes in pennation with joint angle and muscle torque: in vivo measurements in human brachialis muscle. The Journal of physiology. 1995;484(2):523-32.##
17. Hodges P, Pengel L, Herbert R, Gandevia S. Measurement of muscle contraction with ultrasound imaging. Muscle & nerve. 2003;27(6):682-92.##
18. Rezasoltani A, Ylinen J, Vihko V. Isometric cervical extension force and dimensions of semispinalis capitis muscle. Journal of rehabilitation research and development. 2002;39(3):423-8.##
19. Bunce SM, Hough AD, Moore AP. Measurement of abdominal muscle thickness using M-mode ultrasound imaging during functional activities. Manual therapy. 2004;9(1):41-4.##
20. Manal K, Roberts DP, Buchanan TS. Optimal pennation angle of the primary ankle plantar and dorsiflexors: variations with sex, contraction intensity, and limb. Journal of applied biomechanics. 2006;22(4):255.##
21. Lichtwark GA, Wilson A. Interactions between the human gastrocnemius muscle and the Achilles tendon during incline, level and decline locomotion. Journal of Experimental Biology. 2006;209(21):4379-88##.
22. Brancaccio P, Limongelli FM, D’Aponte A, Narici M, Maffulli N. Changes in skeletal muscle architecture following a cycloergometer test to exhaustion in athletes. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 2008;11(6):538-41.##
23. Mannion AF, Pulkovski N, Schenk P, Hodges PW, Gerber H, Loupas T, et al. A new method for the noninvasive determination of abdominal muscle feedforward activity based on tissue velocity information from tissue Doppler imaging. Journal of Applied Physiology. 2008;104(4):1192-201##.
24. Peng Q, Jones R, Shishido K, Constantinou CE. Ultrasound evaluation of dynamic responses of female pelvic floor muscles. Ultrasound in medicine & biology. 2007;33(3):342-52.##
25. Rezasoltani A, Ali-Reza A, Khosro K-K, Abbass R. Preliminary study of neck muscle size and strength measurements in females with chronic non-specific neck pain and healthy control subjects. Manual therapy. 2010;15(4):400-3.##
26. Eranki A, Cortes N, Ferencek ZG, Kim JJ, Sikdar S, editors. Real-time measurement of rectus femoris muscle kinematics during drop jump using ultrasound imaging: A preliminary study. Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 2012 Annual International Conference of the IEEE; 2012: IEEE.##
27. Arimi SA, Rezasoltani A, Sakhaei SY, Tabatabaei SM, Khalkhali M. Reliability of Ultrasonographic Measurement of Cervical Multifidus Muscle Dimensions during Isometric Contraction of Neck Muscles. Rehabilitation Medicine. 2013;1(2).##
28. Löfstedt T, Ahnlund O, Peolsson M, Trygg J. Dynamic ultrasound imaging—A multivariate approach for the analysis and comparison of time-dependent musculoskeletal movements. BMC medical imaging. 2012;12(1):29.##
29. Kawakami Y, Ichinose Y, Fukunaga T. Architectural and functional features of human triceps surae muscles during contraction. Journal of Applied Physiology. 1998;85(2):398-404.##
30. Zhou Y, Li J-Z, Zhou G, Zheng Y-P. Dynamic measurement of pennation angle of gastrocnemius muscles during contractions based on ultrasound imaging. Biomed Eng Online. 2012;11:63.##
31. Ferreira PH, Ferreira ML, Hodges PW. Changes in recruitment of the abdominal muscles in people with low back pain: ultrasound measurement of muscle activity. Spine. 2004;29(22):2560-6.##
32. John E, Beith I. Can activity within the external abdominal oblique be measured using real-time ultrasound imaging? Clinical biomechanics. 2007;22(9):972-9.##
33. Kiesel KB, Uhl TL, Underwood FB, Rodd DW, Nitz AJ. Measurement of lumbar multifidus muscle contraction with rehabilitative ultrasound imaging. Manual therapy. 2007;12(2):161-6.#
34. McMeeken J, Beith I, Newham D, Milligan P, Critchley D. The relationship between EMG and change in thickness of transversus abdominis. Clinical biomechanics. 2004;19(4):337-42.##
35. Lee S-w, Chan CK-m, Lam T-s, Lam C, Lau N-c, Lau RW-l, et al. Relationship between low back pain and lumbar multifidus size at different postures. Spine. 2006;31(19):2258-62.##
36. Hides J, Wilson S, Stanton W, McMahon S, Keto H, McMahon K, et al. An MRI investigation into the function of the transversus abdominis muscle during “drawing-in” of the abdominal wall. Spine. 2006;31(6):E175-E8.##
37. Hides JA, Richardson CA, Jull GA. Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Ultrasonography of the Lumbar Multifidus Muscle: Comparison of Two Different Modalities. Spine. 1995;20(1):54-8.##
38. Pulkovski N, Schenk P, Maffiuletti NA, Mannion AF. Tissue Doppler imaging for detecting onset of muscle activity. Muscle & nerve. 2008;37(5):638-49.##
39. Peolsson M, Larsson B, Brodin L-Å, Gerdle B. A pilot study using Tissue Velocity Ultrasound Imaging (TVI) to assess muscle activity pattern in patients with chronic trapezius myalgia. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. 2008;9(1):127.##
40. Peolsson A, Brodin L-Å, Peolsson M. A tissue velocity ultrasound imaging investigation of the dorsal neck muscles during resisted isometric extension. Manual therapy. 2010;15(6):567-73.##
41. Peolsson M, Brodin L-Å, Peolsson A. Tissue motion pattern of ventral neck muscles investigated by tissue velocity ultrasonography imaging. European journal of applied physiology. 2010;109(5):899-908.##
42. Peolsson AL, Peolsson MN, Jull GA. Cervical muscle activity during loaded arm lifts in patients 10 years postsurgery for cervical disc disease. Journal of manipulative and physiological therapeutics. 2013;36(5):292-9.##