عنوان مقاله [English]
Background and Aim: Stroke is a major cause of disability. Upper extremity motor impairment is one of the most common consequences after stroke. The purpose of the present study was to investigate the effect of Kinesiotape (KT) on hand function dexterity and activities of daily living as well as spasticity in stroke patients.
Materials and methods: Eight individuals with stroke, and the mean age of 50-63 years, participated in the present clinical trial and pretest-posttest study. An I strip taping was placed on extensor muscles of the participants' forearms. Spasticity, activities of daily livings, and hand function dexterity were evaluated immediately and one month after kinesiotaping using the Modified Ashworth Scale (MMAS), Barthel Index, and Nine Holle Peg test.
Results: At the immediate assessment, there were signiﬁcant differences between hand dexterity function and Barthel Index in the pre-test and post-test (P- value≥ 0/001). Secondary assessment was done after one month and the results showed similar signiﬁcant differences but there was no significant change in flexor muscles spasticity of the hand after the intervention.
Conclusion: The current preliminary study indicated that KT in the direction of the extensor muscle could result in better hand function and recovery activities of daily living.
10. Jaraczewska E, Long C. Kinesio® taping in stroke: improving functional use of the upper extremity in hemiplegia. Topics in Stroke rehabilitation. 2006;13(3):31-42. ##
11. Van de Water AT, Speksnijder CM. Efficacy of taping for the treatment of plantar fasciosis: a systematic review of controlled trials. Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association. 2010;100(1):41-51. ##
12. Paci M, Nannetti L, Rinaldi LA. Glenohumeral subluxation in hemiplegia: An overview. Journal of rehabilitation research and development. 2005;42(4):557. ##
13. Reiter F, Danni M, Lagalla G, Ceravolo G, Provinciali L. Low-dose botulinum toxin with ankle taping for the treatment of spastic equinovarus foot after stroke. Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation. 1998;79(5):532-5. ##
14. Williams S, Whatman C, Hume PA, Sheerin K. Kinesio taping in treatment and prevention of sports injuries. Sports medicine. 2012;42(2):153-64. ##
15. Appel C, Mayston M, Perry L. Feasibility study of a randomized controlled trial protocol to examine clinical effectiveness of shoulder strapping in acute stroke patients. Clinical rehabilitation. 2011;25(9):833-43. ##
16. Carda S, Molteni F. Taping versus electrical stimulation after botulinum toxin type A injection for wrist and finger spasticity. A case—control study. Clinical rehabilitation. 2005;19(6):621-6. ##
17. Hayner KA. Effectiveness of the California Tri-Pull Taping method for shoulder subluxation poststroke: A single-subject ABA design. American Journal of Occupational Therapy. 2012;66(6):727-36. ##
18. Hanger H, Whitewood P, Brown G, Ball M, Harper J, Cox R, et al. A randomized controlled trial of strapping to prevent post-stroke shoulder pain. Clinical rehabilitation. 2000;14(4):370-80. ##
19. Pandian JD, Kaur P, Arora R, Vishwambaran DK, Toor G, Mathangi S, et al. Shoulder taping reduces injury and pain in stroke patients Randomized controlled trial. Neurology. 2013;80(6):528-32. ##
20. Kim K-S, Seo H-M, Lee H-D. Effect of taping method on ADL, range of motion, hand function & quality of life in post-stroke Patients for 5 weeks. The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing. 2002;5(1):7-17. ##
21. Naghdi S, Ansari N, Mansouri K, Asgari A, Olyaei G, Kazemnejad A. Neurophysiological examination of the Modified Modified Ashworth Scale (MMAS) in patients with wrist flexor spasticity after stroke. Electromyography and clinical neurophysiology. 2007;48(1):35-41. ##
22. Nakhostin Ansari N, Naghdi S, Forogh B, Hasson S, Atashband M, Lashgari E. Development of the Persian version of the Modified Modified Ashworth Scale: translation, adaptation, and examination of interrater and intrarater reliability in patients with poststroke elbow flexor spasticity. Disability and rehabilitation. 2012;34(21):1843-7. ##
23. Desrosiers J, Bravo G, Hébert R, Dutil E, Mercier L. Validation of the Box and Block Test as a measure of dexterity of elderly people: reliability, validity, and norms studies. Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation. 1994;75(7):751-5. ##
24. Mathiowetz V, Federman S, Wiemer D. Box and block test of manual dexterity: norms for 6–19 year olds. Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy. 1985;52(5):241-5. ##
25. Grice KO, Vogel KA, Le V, Mitchell A, Muniz S, Vollmer MA. Adult norms for a commercially available Nine Hole Peg Test for finger dexterity. American Journal of Occupational Therapy. 2003;57(5):570-3. ##
26. Mathiowetz V, Weber K, Kashman N, Volland G. Adult norms for the nine hole peg test of finger dexterity. OTJR: Occupation, Participation and Health. 1985;5(1):24-38. ##
27. Mahoney FI. Functional evaluation: the Barthel index. Maryland state medical journal. 1965;14:61-5. ##
28. Granger C, Hamilton B, Gresham G, Kramer A. The stroke rehabilitation outcome study: Part II. Relative merits of the total Barthel index score and a four-item subscore in predicting patient outcomes. Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation. 1989;70(2):100-3. ##
29. Chunga González NM. Efectos del kinesio taping en la funcionalidad manual de pacientes con hemiplejía post accidente cerebro vascular en el Hospital Nacional Dos De Mayo Lima, enero-marzo 2013. 2013. ##
30. Sun S-F, Hsu C-W, Hwang C-W, Hsu P-T, Wang J-L, Yang C-L. Application of combined botulinum toxin type A and modified constraint-induced movement therapy for an individual with chronic upper-extremity spasticity after stroke. Physical therapy. 2006;86(10):1387-97. ##
31. Cho JC, Lee BK, Chon SC. The Most Effective Number of Elastic Taping Applications on the Muscle Activity and Maximum Peak of the Wrist Extensor Muscle in Patients with Stroke. Journal of the Ergonomics Society of Korea. 2014;33(6):533-541. ##
32. Semple S, Esterhuysen C, Grace J. The effects of kinesio ankle taping on postural stability in semiprofessional rugby union players. Journal of Physical Therapy Science. 2012;24 (12):1239-42. ##
33. Morrissey D. Proprioceptive shoulder taping. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies. 2000;4(3):189-94. ##