عنوان مقاله [English]
Background and Aim: Reading is one of the fundamental stores in the life of an individual that has a direct influence on his/her life. Velocardiofacial syndrome (VCFS) is an autosomal dominant disorder characterized by cleft palate, cardiac defects, a typical facial appearance, and learning disabilities. The purpose of the present study was to examine reading skill and related tasks in the first-fifth grade students with VCF syndrome.
Materials and Methods: In the present sectional-descriptive case study, based on the available samples and based on inclusion criteria, six cleft palate 6-10 year old students with VCF syndrome were recruited from Isfahan Cleft Palates and Craniofacial Clinic. Each student was assessed using Reading and Dyslexia Test (NAMA Test). The total scores of reading skill were calculated by aggregating all scores in different subtests of NAMA Test.
Results: Total score of reading skill for the first-grade students was 225, and 257 and 277 (second grades), 330 (third grades), 229 (fourth grades), and 314 (fifth grades) for the other four grades.
Conclusion: These children gained lower scores in subtests of word continuum, rhyme, word comprehension, letter symbols, and category. Although because of the limited number of samples, we cannot make judgments about the weak points of these children, we can inform the parents and teachers about early diagnosis of reading difficulties, and give special tasks to these students. Based on the importance of education in these children’s sense of well-being and quality of life, we must focus on early intervention. Additional attention and future studies are needed to find the factors that can be important in this regard.
10. Wang P, Woodin M, Falk R, Moss E. Research on behavioral phenotypes: velocardiofacial syndrome (deletion 22q11.2). Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, 2000; 42: 422-427. ##
12. Kok L, Solman R. Velocardiofachial Syndrome: Learning difficulty and intervention. J Med Genet. 1995; 32:612-618. ##
13. Noori R. Moradi A. The test of reading and dyslexia ( NAMA). Jahad Daneshgahi Fub,Tehran,2008.[In Persian]. ##
15. Woodin M, Wang PP, Aleman D, McDonald-McGinn D, Zackai E. Neuropsychological profile of children and adolescents with the 22q11.2 microdeletion.Pubmed:2001: 3(1):34-9. ##
16. Collett BR, Leroux B, Speltz ML. Language and Early Reading Among Children with Orofacial Clefts. Cleft Palate Craniofac J.2010;47(3): 284-292. ##
17. Collett BR, Stott-Miller M, Kapp-Simon KA, Cunningham ML, Speltz ML. Reading in children with Orofacial Clefts versus Controls. J Pediatric Psychology. 2010; 35(2):199-208. ##